View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Assumption: This is not for LAQ quilting?

1) Did you press your backing before laying it out?

2) Did you anchor the backing to the table or floor so it didn't bunch up? (My table isn't wide enough to accommodate all the fabric at one time - so I "weight" the edges of the backing with long rulers or curtain rods - I make a temporary "pocket" for the items by just folding up a side to hold the ruler and pinning it - it provides just enough tension to help keep the backing smooth.

3) Did you smooth the batting so it didn't have any lumps or bumps

4) Did you smooth the top and make sure it was nice and squared up before basting/pinning?

5) Did you use enough pins/basting to keep the layers from sliding/moving around? (I pin at least every four inches) I think it helps to start pinning from the center and work out to the edges.

6) Did you check the back to make sure the backing is wrinkle free before starting to quilt? (I've had to redo the whole thing because somehow or other I got a big wrinkle in - Growl) I think that's why I like pins better than basting

A lot of prevention starts with the preparation.

I don't have many suggestions for the actual quilting. My machine quilting is stitch-in-the-ditch and straight lines (as straight as I can sew them, anyway)
Wow! I love that #2. I will surely try it. All I can add is that since I began basting (needle and thread) instead of just the pins or " baster-gun" basting, my puckers are less frequent. Also, as I sew, I use my hands to form a little tension on the fabric (stretching a little).