Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 AM
QBeth

A few years back, before EZPass was available in NH, I drove my mother and her friend to CT to a Salvation Army retreat. Along the way, we neared a toll pavillion in MA (not that it couldn't happen elsewhere). I got a bit confused trying to figure out what toll lane to use (I didn't have EZPass at the time) and ended up, as you can probably guess, in the EZPass lane. I realized my mistake when I went to throw money in a slot that wasn't there.

One more thing I should mention is that this was around 10:30 on a weekday and there were very few cars on the road.

As I sat there for a moment (maybe 10 seconds), trying to figure out what to do now, an enormous Expedition SUV pulls up behind me and starts blowing his horn, non-stop. I don't bow to such tactics so I took a couple more seconds before moving on. Being an overly honest person (?), I went down to the next exit, turned around, and went thru the tolls twice to make up for my mistake. I also asked for a receipt so I could prove I'd paid, one way or the other. When I explained why I wanted the receipt, the toll taker asked if that what all the noise was about? Ah, yes, I made a mistake. "What a jerk!" Thank you, my sentiments exactly!

Final note, my mother and her friend were both in their 80's. How proud that guy's mother would have been that day!