View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 AM
redrummy

I use my scraps to use as leaders and enders, but instead of wasting, I do it with enough to make a lap quilt, placing the pieces into a box when I remove them from my current project. when I have a box full, I start over with them as leaders and enders sewing them together till they are strips themselves. I may work on the scrappy lap quilt pieces thru the entire original quilt I am working on. When done, I usually have a finished scrappy lap quilt top also. I never have leaders and enders wasted, and have a quilt to donate that I usually tie rather than stitch quilt. I feel good about having one to donate, and having no wastage to throw away. I do not let myself get involved in the leaders and enders scrappy quilt top till I feel it is big enough to back. I just use it as the leaders and enders by picking up several pieces to sew 2 together when I need a leader or ender. Then when cut off, it goes into box again. I don't look at the patterns, or I will get caught up in it. I am usually pleased with the outcome without any planning of it. it just happens as it is used while sewing the planned quilt. The recipients of these are not judgmental of the lack of planning, they just like being thought of. If we all did this, just imagine the smiles from the donated quilts!!!! They also make great childrens play quilts.