View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
pab58

Originally Posted by LindaM
Nameflakes - wonderful! What a great project - and it's beautiful.

How did you translate the letters into these shapes?
I'm glad you like it. They loved it! They couldn't believe that it turned out so well. They all wanted to win it at the auction. They told the student who did win the quilt that she had to bring it in so they could take turns wrapping themselves up in it!

In order to make the flakes they folded their paper the same as for making a snowflake then drew whatever style letters they liked on the paper. Some chose bubble letters and others more of a block style. Once the paper is opened (just as you would do a snowflake) the letters are connected in most places. For example, the "fancy" one on the purple background reads: Rebecca Kerby. I think it's probably my favorite one. The one right next to it on the pink background is also hers. They are cameras because she likes to take pictures.

Believe it or not there were supposed to be three of these quilts, but the other two classes did not complete their paper nameflakes and turn them in by the deadline I had set. Oh, well. Lesson learned for them. They were so disappointed once they saw the finished 8th grade quilt. If I were to do another quilt -- or quilts -- next year, I'm sure they won't miss the deadline again! :lol: