View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Mamagus

I live in Newfoundland and usually the fancier LQS will bring in "Lines" of fabric and charge accordingly, but if you're looking to buy nice fabric that matches but isn't necessarily all from the same designer, you can get really nice fabric for 10-12 a metre. I have two stores near me that try and keep their fabrics below 8.00 a metre and they are doing good with their aim so far!
I too have visited B.C. and find that they have the highest prices I have seen anywhere. Satin Moon in Victoria charged me 22.95 for pretty flannel 6 years ago and I was silly enough to buy it for a rag quilt I was making for my daughter. I also used 4.00 flannel from Walmart and the quilt today after 5 years at university and countless washings? Can't tell the difference between the expensive and the "cheap"!

And of course this factors into the store's bottom line. If you buy 12 metres of fabric in Canada you are actually getting 13 yards. Might not sound like much to us but for a store that is HUGE.

Oh yes, one more thought... most of the stores I shop at here in Newfoundland sell fat quarter METRES! That extra little bit on a fat quarter is great!

And you MAINLAND Canadian quilters who can drive across the brder? Lucky you! This is an island. CHEAPEST way off is ferry. Car retirn trip and one person driving the car? Almost 400.00 and three days to come and go! I'll just keep paying the exchange and the duty!