Thread: Quilting guilds
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:08 AM
thimblebug6000

We vote in an executive - president, vice, secty, treasurer each year; We have volunteers who run our library - books purchased from some membership money but also once a year we clear out our sewing rooms & the funds raised go to the library to purchase new books; we have a volunteer take photos for a scrapbook; we have a volunteer who runs the 50/50 draw (guild has to purchase a $10 lottery licence to run this); we have a volunteer to greet members & check in guests & she also has a small budget for door prizes; we have 2 volunteers who run membership - new cards etc and provides an up-to-date member listing; we have a volunteer who runs a care quilt committee once a month who has a budget for batting etc.; we have a program volunteer (this years it's 3 people) who plan ahead a year or two to bring in speakers (we had Pippa Moore one time; also Cathy Miller the singing quilter; Sharon Pedersen just to name a few)also have our own members demo some things - and this year they organized a mystery quilt, a UFO club and ?? can't remember what else. Our dues have been $35 but may be going up to $40; the guild pays $25/meeting for chair/table set up as well as the $50/meeting use of the church hall. We also have a raffle quilt committee that organizes a new quilt each year (we have to purchase a $25 lottery licence for this) & we vote on which charity will receive the proceeds. We also have a guild retreat committee that organizes a yearly local retreat, but it is not subsidized by the guild. We are a very diverse group, some loving art quilts, some loving hand work and others coming for the friendships, new & old. I've been a member since 1994 & watched our membership grow from approx. 30 to over 100 in 2000 when I was president, but I think it is down to about 80 at the moment. The guild also has to purchase insurance from the membership funds. And we also have a newsletter printed out quarterly.