Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I agree, it goes on sideways and not the way you think it is going on at all that E7. M3 Well I did it by mostly sewing by machine and leaving the bits that just wouldn´t be pulled, cajoled or otherwise made to go in place. Bit of a bummer that one too. Keep going though Tiffany, if not leave it and go back the next day, suddenly it glicks, however if you are like me it takes a few clicks LOL
That is how I handled E7. It actually took me 3 days because I would have to get up and just walk away. It actually looks pretty darn amazing and I can't complain at all at how it turned out, but the process gave me some extra gray hairs and a twitch near my right eye. :lol:

Oh ladies, I took a couple classes from Sally Collins last month. OMG!!!! She has a trick that has revolutionized mine and many of my local friends in our quiltmaking & is proving invaluable with the Dear Jane blocks. When she takes her piece/unit/block to the ironing board to iron it, she irons it like we do but then, instead of taking the piece immediately back to the sewing table to add the next piece, she places a book or a weight of some kind over the piece and lets it cool down completely before taking it off her ironing board. I've been doing this using a ruler with a paper weight (or full gallon of distilled water) on top. It only takes a few minutes to cool down. It sounds like a strange step but allowing it to cool completely with a weight on top of it means that piece ends up being amazingly flat. Flat is great since it lends itself to better construction, especially where the points are concerned. I can't imagine quilting without this little trick. Sally Collins has a DVD out filled with her sewing tips and she shows how she does this and explains why it makes such a difference in the end construction of the quilt. I would really urge you ladies to try this, at least for one block, and see what a difference it makes. :thumbup: