Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Prism99
I need black fabric to use as sashing for two batik quilts. Just got a Keepsake Quilting catalog that lists "Jet Black Bali Fabric" for $8.96/yard and also "Amish Black Fabric" for $6.00/yard.

Since the quilts are batik, I am thinking the Bali fabric would be best; however, I am concerned about fading and dye retention in both blacks. Have noticed that all of my dd's black clothing seems to stain everything else black!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has purchased either one of these blacks and knows how colorfast they are.
I haven't used the Bali black but I have to tell you I simply adore the Amish black!!! It is such a deep, dark, saturated black that it literally makes all the other blacks in my stash look grey. I love it and I haven't had a single problem with the dye running. I do wash and dry everything after I get it home so everything I quilt with is prewashed. In fact, I need to buy some more of the Amish black so I can finish a batik stars quilt. If you are looking for an endorsement for the Amish black, it definitely has my backing!!