View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

You'll find, as others have said, that as time goes on you come to prefer a particular brand (or several).

For "beefier" (thicker) fabrics that are forgiving to work with, I like Alexander Henry, Michael Miller, Timeless Treasures, and Kaufman.

For quality of printing (fine details) right now Elizabeth's Studio does the best. They do mostly novelties. If you remember Shamash from several years back, their best designer moved on to Elizabeth's Studio so you'll see some similarities in the style of some of their designs.

Wilmington and South Sea Imports are both divisions of MMFab, and I would say that in terms of quality they are indistinguishable from each other.

Cranston Village has two brands, Quilting Treasures and VIP. The QT brand was always sold exclusively to quilt shops. Now they are going to be doing several lines under the VIP brand, that will be printed on the same goods and with the same quality as the QT line. I'm not sure why they're doing this, except that the VIP name has been better known than the QT name, probably because of all the VIP fabrics that Wal-Mart and the other chains have carried over the years. Of the VIP fabrics that the chain stores carry, you should be aware that there are three different greige goods (base fabrics) that they print on, and two finish styles that I'm aware of. So there is considerable variation in their fabrics.