Thread: Quilting guilds
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by keesha_ont
Thats terrible that they won't let men join the guild. We had our first male join this year and the rest of us want him to speak to our husbands about quilting...
Oh no, you really don't want to do that! Just think, it means you'll have to share your fabric stash. :shock: Lol. I keep trying to get my husband involved but no such luck. He's got a degree in computers and I think he'd be great in either designing or helping me to design my own patterns. He knows all the terms and enough tips and tricks to impress any quilter (and has helped a few out!) but he isn't interested in being a part of the actual process. I have to laugh. He can even stand in front of a quilt at a show and pick out the problems (such as using too many fabrics of the same value, which causes the pattern to be lost) or point to excellent workmanship, but he simply doesn't want to dip his fingers into the fabric.

At least I don't have to worry about sharing room on my design board. :lol:

Originally Posted by mar32428
Originally Posted by gollytwo
I belong to 3 quilds; all now charge $20/year
Dues are used in many ways, depending on the guild: programs, rental for meeting space, pay for newletter postage and printing (most now e-mail newsletter, but have to print for non-computer members), cards for members' loss, illness etc.
donations e.g. - the NE Quilt Museum.
Usually all members are not involved unless there's real contention over the decision. A committee or the Executive Board usually make the decisions.
Having been President of one of my Guilds for 6 yrs, let me tell you making decisions when there is controversy is a nightmare, requiring the skills of a negotiator and the patience of a saint.
And a well controlled vocabulary !
And the patience of a saint! I was only president for a year. I can't imagine doing it for 6 years. Impressive!