Old 06-07-2008, 04:52 PM
nor'easter
Banned

I have a local longarmer do my quilts and I am quite happy with her work. One of our local quilt shops had a longarm fair last fall and it was great. They had quilters from NH and the three neighboring states there with samples of their work and brochures, etc. You could ask any questions you had and get a feel for the person's artistic side to find a good match. They're going to have one every couple or three years. There was a great turnout for it.

I've never known anyone to give a price for a range of sizes like the one you posted does. It's usually by the square inch and type of quilting...you know, less for pantographs, more for custom. I wouldn't send a quilt top to anyone whose work I had not seen in person or knew (and trusted) someone who had seen their work in person. Too much work goes into it to risk someone messing it up.

As for insurance on your quilt, I strongly doubt that you would get anywhere near $1,000 if it were lost unless you could prove that you have sold your work for that much in the past and even then, an unfinished top would be worth less. They would probably only pay you for the cost of materials, no more. They do not consider "used clothing" to have any value at all. Harsh, but reality. They (USPS, UPS, FedEx) are quite strict about the values placed on original works of art and crafts.