View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 PM
renee765

Originally Posted by fussycut
Yes, fabric prices are increasing everywhere. I just want to remind everyone to support your local quilt shop. They not only provide fabric but they provide services as well, things that you will not come by on E-bay, Walmart, chain stores, etc. What about the time you needed help with a particular technique-local quilt shop to the rescue. What about the time you needed to learn something new-local quilt shop to the rescue. What about the time you just want to escape the day to day stress of everyone's life-quilt shop to the rescue. Who will help you figure out yardage and make pattern modifications?
They also provide good quality fabric that lasts and will withstand the test of time. If you are making a heirloom quilt, don't run the risk of using less than quality fabric.
Most local quilt shops are not in the business to make millions but rather to provide a service to a wonderful group of people - Quilters! We need your support to stick around.
:) Any suggestions?
I admire LQS owners and the hard work they do to make their quilt shops popular and successful - almost more of a 'way of life' than a 'store'.

But as I was reading your post, I couldn't help but answer your questions a little differently.

What about the time you needed help with a particular technique - this Quilting Board has come to my rescue.

What about the time you just want to escape the day to day stress of everyone's life - this Quilting Board has come to my rescue.

Who will help you figure out yardage and make pattern modifications? My friends on this Quilting Board have come to my rescue.

Having said all this, it makes me wonder if our modern technology, with the ability to easily order quilting supplies online, and virtual communities (where else could you get ideas from someone on the east coast, west coast, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) that creates a global quilting fellowship have made it extremely difficult for a LQS to stay in business? Thank you for all the work that you do!