Thread: I am sad
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Lisa T

I absolutely agree with the respect taught at home thing. I am in my son's classroom enough to see how much of the teacher's time is spent controlling disruptive kids. She does a great job and I am not knocking her at all- she is wonderful with keeping the kids in lines and other "crowd control" techniques. She shouldn't have to spend so much time doing that.

When I was these kids' age I called every adult "Mr." or "Mrs." without fail. It's the norm now for all kids to call adults by their first name. DH and I tell our kids to say "Miss Emily" or whatever, because our friends actually get kind of offended when we tell the kids to call them Mr. or Mrs. X. They say it makes them feel "old". Well, they are! They are the grownups!! Act like it!

I also think there is a problem in society in general with the nuclear family. I think there are only maybe 25% of the kids in my son's class where the parents are together, much less married to each other. So many of them say things like, "oh, we have that at my dad's house" or "I am at my mom's this weekend so I can't come over". The kids are all so matter-of-fact about it. I realize that there are cases where divorce is necessary, but it can't be this often. (Although there are days when I wouldn't mind one!!! LOL!)