View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Teacup

I am getting ready to start what, for me, will be a huge project. I am going to create memory quilts for the family using a variety of plaid flannel shirts and a bathrobe that belonged to my late father-in-law. They are going to be large lap quilts. The flannel clothing has been washed and dried a number of times, so shrinking should not be an issue. I have selected a variety of simple patterns and purchased Bonnie Hunter's book "Scraps & Shirttails" for suggestions on cutting shirt fabric into blocks.

I just orderd additional new flannel in solids or near-solids to add to the plaid shirt fabric and for borders and backings. A large box arrived today from Fabric.com. :D I plan to wash and dry all the flannel three times to shrink it.

QUESTION: When I finally begin cutting, do I need to use 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch seam allowances when figuring the measurements for the blocks? I read one book that said to always use 1/2 inch for flannel, and another said it didn't matter. A number of my patterns are going to use half-square triangles, and I want to use Eleanor Burn's method and square-up ruler, which uses 1/4 inch seams. What's your experience with flannel? Thanks for you help!