Thread: Copyrights
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 AM
grammypatty7

Actually, I think those asking questions should be referred to the book as her demonstrations of each step are wonderful - or so I've been told. Definitely ask permission from the author but be very cautious. Her books are big sellers and very accessible today so you definitely don't want to say or do anything that could compromise her source of income. If a group is using her book and doing a class with the book and someone inexperienced quilter needs help with a technique, you can person to person help her figure out the technique - that's ok because you both OWN that book. If they don't own the book, I honestly wouldn't help with the technique even though you may not be able to copyright a technique. Just my opinion. I hear her books and techniques are wonderful although I've not used them yet but I do own the URR book for when we begin our classes in 2011 and most likely, the dyslexia in me will need in person assistance from the group leader.

Originally Posted by Chele
You're teaching a class from a book you didn't write. You have permission to distribute fabric requirements and instructions on how many cuts from the pieces of fabric, but that's about it. If you want to distribute more (i.e., step-by-step photographed instruction), you should really ask for permission.

Put yourself in the author's shoes if it makes it easier. If you wrote a pattern, would you like someone to be able to copy that pattern and make money without giving you credit or compensation? She went through a lot of work to get her book published. If someone buys one copy and teaches a class of 1,000 you can see how that dilutes her success.

Chances are, she'll grant you permission to do what you want, but it's always polite (and legal) to get permission.