View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:03 AM
JanetM

Originally Posted by fabric=fun
Fussycut and other owners, here is my story. First off, I need to say I live in a Quilter's Paradise in Massachusetts! There are 3 LQS's within 15 mins, 5 more in 30 mins and 8+ more within 45 mins. (Also three Joann Fabric stores within 30 mins). Not all in the same direction, but you get the idea. With one to three other friends, I average at least monthly trips (mini shop hops) to several of them at a time. We never come home empty-handed and make one or more purchases in each store.

I belong to two quilt guilds (each has close to 200 members) and these are active quilters who also regularly patronize these LQS's.
The closest LQS store owners make themselves visible by participating and getting to know quilters without overt advertising or commercials at the guild meetings. They gain their business through friendliness and having their customers spread the word about where to get which fabrics.

The LQS's strive to be unique as a destination with their personal touch and selection of fabric categories. The ones that I/we frequent least often are either poorly organized or messy shops, staff that are preoccupied with each other, or too distracted to offer a smile to customers. (This happens rarely since their competition is near by).

Many use e-mail for monthly newsletter or notice of sales or a special limited discount, special events, etc. Again with a personal touch they are friendly.

We do our best to support them and they respond by appreciating us and our business. They even make referrals to each other if you are looking for a particular fabric type.
You are so lucky to have so many shops nearby..can I come visit?