View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
pab58

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
A quilt with chopped off points and mismatched seams will keep you just as warm as a perfect one.
I have a couple of quilts from my two grandmothers. All of them are tied. One is made from polyester knits, and everytime I look at it I remember seeing my grandma wearing the dresses and pant suits they came from. Another quilt has red birds appliqued with a blanket stitch. It is tied about every 2 1/2" with thick crochet cotton thread. The sashing, binding and backing are in about three different shades of red -- one even borders on being pink! The third quilt contains pieced diamonds (I know I've seen the pattern, but can't remember the name). The diamonds are a bit crooked and don't quite match up in some spots. It's a difficult pattern to get just right with all those points. Let me tell you....all three of those quilts are treasures to me!! I proudly display two of them in my living room for anyone and everyone to see!! I love each one for what it really means to me: they were made by two very dear women in my life, and I wouldn't trade those quirky quilts for the quilt that wins the biggest prize in the most prestigious quilting competition in the world!! My grandma's polyester monster has kept me warm and cozy when I've been sick and it lays on my bed in the winter months. No fancy quilt in the world could do any better than that!!!! ;)