View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Cathe

It's not a matter of being "quilt police." And it's not even primarily the quilt itself (although sometimes it could be). It's about the pattern. When someone writes a pattern, having done all the work of drafting and the math to figure yardage and cutting instructions, writing clear assembly directions, etc., they have the legal right to "own" those instructions. Some authors will give you permission to use it for selling purposes, especially if you are making just one or two of them. Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick, and Vogue all have this pattern copyright protection, too. I can't buy a Simplicity pattern and use it to make a lot of dresses to sell. I'm not even sure that I can make ONE dress from it to sell, unless I buy one pattern per dress, on behalf of my client, and specifically clarify that I am providing the labor rather than the product. It gets dicey!

If you make your own pattern, on the other hand, you can do whatever you like with it. This is your safest option if you want to do the right thing.