View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Janeen
Banned

Don't forget the issue with the FABRIC also....
some fabrics (esp licensed - for instance a college) say right on the selvage something about not making anything for resale.... or cartoon characters, or Precious Moments (if you really want to get snagged use something by PM)

I see people at craft shows selling a LOT of college stuff and I really wonder if they have actually paid the licensing fee to do that... as soon as I tried to sell a pocket comb holder I'd be caught in two seconds flat! 8) :shock:

I know there was all kinds of brou ha ha in the embroidery community several years ago what with stolen designs and licensing fees etc - another reason I don't even want to get into selling anything.

I don't use "boughten" patterns - I try to use the old 'generic' patterns and fancy materials - I don't think I have any that say that I can't sell the finished product - looks like the fabric makers KNOW that when they make material specifically for the quilting community that some fabrics will be used for quilts to be sold - but who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of manufacturers :D

I don't want to have to worry about it - whether it's a quilt or something embroidered (or both) - I'd rather use something that I KNOW is 'safe'....

You have the same thing come up in graphic design - like the card shop programs, and the graphics packages - there are things in the 'public domain' and then the ones that have the teeny print about how you can't actually use this design that you paid for - usually that's buried somewhere you won't find it until AFTER you've paid for it and gotten it home and you find out it's for personal use only - which means you might could use it on a birthday card that you give to someone, but you can't make a pile of cards and sell them - for instance - as a set.....

Yet, as I said, I see this stuff at craft shows everywhere..... so who knows