View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 AM
fabric-holic

I had to laugh at what happened to me at the grocery store yesterday.
I used my bank card to pay at the "self check out", and selected to receive $40 extra in change.
The machine spit out $60.
So I showed the young lady who was working that line and tried to hand the extra $20 back to her.
She said "you want to give it back?"
I said "Yes. It's not mine".
She called 2 people on her store phone but no one appeared. Maybe they thought it was a prank?
So after waiting 5 min. and holding up the Saturday crowd I suggested we go to the Service Desk.
The lady there needed to hear the story twice. Then she paged the manager, and in the meantime she's looking in the computer for instructions on how to process this. She looked and looked but there was nothing there to help her.

They all looked at my receipt to see if I really only asked for $40 back (their machine only offers $20 and $40!!), we kept waiting for the manager, I had to fill out a paper about why I was returning this (why? it's not a product that I bought there).
They ran the "conterfeit" tester thing over it to see if I was some shady funny money pusher.
Are they kidding? They think I copied this on my pc?
So I continued to wait.
One of them said "You're very honest". And the others looked at me like they couldn't believe this was happening. And I also got some looks like "just take it and run, dummy".

Finally they decided to take my name, address, phone number and said they'd get back to me about what to do. At first they said I should take the $20 with me, but I said "I could have just done that and avoided all this".
So they got an envelope and wrote alot of info and the date etc on the outside, sealed the trouble making $20 inside it, and put it in a drawer. They said if no one claimed it in
48 hrs I could come back and get it.
All of this took at least a half hour.
That's OK. It wasn't mine. I had to give it back. But boy what a hassle. It'd been easier (and quicker) to rob them outright. :)