View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Edie

I find that I "Bond" with each and every quilt for different reasons. I love to give them away. Out of all the quilts I have made I have kept my Memory Quilt (not to be used) and the Floating Stars, which I am not even done with yet. One quilt went to a baby born with Down Syndrome (our son's closest friend's first child) and my heart went with that quilt. Two other ones I made were for a raffle for the Susan G. Komen Three Day walk here in St. Paul, three others went to my grandchildrens first child (I don't know if I will be here to see my first great grandchild, but I wanted them to know I loved them and made a quilt for them). All the Quilts for Kids I have made, I say a little prayer that each child or baby (NICU size) will be healthy again and happy. I made one for my mother. That was the hardest (emotionally)...I gave it to her when she was 93. Last year. It was made with fabric she had given me, because it is hard for her to quilt now (bad back). I wanted her to know that I really appreciated everything she taught me....I didn't start quilting until I was in my late 50's. Been quilting nigh on to 14 years now.

I keep a diary of each quilt I make, the date I started, the date I finished, who it went to, why, what it was suppose to mean and then I break the bond and give it to the recipient with love.

It is my little "child" to care for and nurture until it is all "grown up" and then I send it on its way.

I think that is why I love quilting so much. Edie