Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Janeen
Banned

I've been quilting for over 35 years and I have yet to buy material for a specific pattern/quilt :mrgreen:

I do, however, have a fantastic stash 8)

I usually get 2 yards of a fabric and if there's something there that 'goes' I get 2 yards of it, or maybe even two or three other fabrics ... if it's something really (really) neat - like the swirl, I get more - at least 3 yards...

but most fabrics I have 2 yards of - and when I want to start a quilt I go in and look around for what I have... I also have lots of different kona colors (yum yum :wink: )....

For an example, the swirl I got at one store, the green at another, and the 'orange' at another.... so when I wanted to use the swirl I started going through my stash.

Then again, I don't look in a book or magazine and pick out a quilt to make - I do look in the books and magazines for ideas, but then usually just go 'do my own thing'

Now I am collecting fabrics for quilts - like a music quilt, and the peppers, stuff like that... then I get a half yard or a yard and so far I have enough music fabric to make a floor quilt to cover Grand Central Station :?

So to answer your question, I'll get, for instance, two yards each of three different fabrics and then use other stuff to finish out...

A stash of any kind is a great thing (the BIGGER the better... hee hee)... it's great for inspiration.....