Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
I had one a few years ago and the prep was horrible. I was so dehydrated that I got a bad Migraine and dry heaves, had to call Dr. if I could take my meds for Migraine because their was no way I was doing this again anytime soon. I didn't care if they had to roll me in on a stretcher it was getting done. First thing I said was when I got there was knock me out I can't stand the migraine anymore. I could have cared less what else they were going to do to me. Every thing was fine. But I would do it again, they are necessary, everyone should get one. Its a slow growing cancer, but the time you notice problems it is usually to late. Everyone get one.
wow! we learn, learn, learn from this board and the sharing.
I had a near migraine too, but thought that was just me, bc I dehydrate easily anyway.
The prep was not fun, the waiting for the 3 pm actual test bc of the stupid doctors was not fun, I was knocked out for the test bc I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy at the same time.
The 'after the test' was not fun, bc like I said, I dehydrate easily anyway.
Get the earliest appt. time for your colonoscopy that you can get, if you have to set your alarm before the roosters.
Go on, do it and get if over with.
Here's another reason why, in spite of all I just said:
BIL died three years ago from undetected colon cancer and DH's own brother died a year and a half ago from colon cancer.
You don't know there is a thing wrong with you!
It's one of those silent killers and you will chalk up eventual symptoms to age and just having one of those days.
We were there with hubby's brother. Our kids were there some of the time, and the grandbabies were there some :shock:
We shielded them as much as we could, but those that visited...since he was in his sister's home with hospice care...those that visited had never seen anyone in that condition.
His daughters all got colonoscopies immediately after his passing and one already had polyps...in her 30's!
You don't want to go that way, and surely not from something preventable.
There is no way I wouldn't do it again, and I had an exceptionally hard time, bc i wasn't there for my colon. I was already very sick with other things, but we had to be sure.
I had extremely...EXTREMELY elevated cancer antigen levels, and you don't know it, and you don't know from where...testing is the only way to find out, and even with discomfort and a headache...it is your best friend.
It's a love/hate thing, but can save your life...your quilting life...and the quality of life of all those that love you and don't want to lose you.
No way I would say, skip it. no way. love and hugs, I do however, respect an informed person making their own decisions. Do think about doing it for those that love you.
You'll live through the test. :thumbup:
btw, my colon was clean but I have to have cancer antigen levels checked every six months (blood tests)...and I will! :thumbup: