View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Grandma Cindy

Originally Posted by pab58
Okay, I hope this works! This is an auction quilt that I put together with the assistance of my 8th grade students this year. The "flakes" are actually their names and their favorite things -- really! We called them Nameflakes instead of snowflakes. They first made them out of paper then I gave them squares of black fabric that had fusible web on the back of it. They opened out their paper flakes and secured them to the black fabric block. Then they had to cut out the spaces. Their next task was to fuse the completed black flake onto their choice of fabric. They all seemed to gravitate towards brights, and I think the colors worked out pretty well. My job was to stitch the flakes (on every edge of the flakes!!) so they would be secure, put the blocks together, put the quilt sandwich together, and then have them tie the quilt. I certainly would have preferred that the quilt be quilted, but they wanted to have a bigger part in its construction. I wanted them to be able to do as much as they could so the item would be their work, too. One of the girls in the class won it. Sorry that it's sideways, but I couldn't get my software to cooperate to rotate it. :oops:

Patty
ok - tutorial time - what a great thing for young ones to help with as well...