View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM
baskets4moo

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

Originally Posted by Quilter a-go-go
Well now, here's a "take it with you story". My DH and I lived for 10 years on a 24 ft sailboat. Yep, I had a sewing machine along, a phaff 130 outfited with a hand crank. (dh called me his cranky sweety). When his terminal illness forced us to sell the boat and move ashore I kept the phaff and still have it. Now many years later my best friend/housemate/travel companion and I travel in a 34 ft motor home. Since the phaff weigh at least 1/2 a ton, I now have a light weight Baby Lock as my travel machine. I keep the stash, under the bed, sew on the dinette table, lay out projects on the bed and happily stitch away. We are planning on full timing as soon as the house sells.
Where there's a will, there's a way! Keep on stitching!
Quilter a-go-go - I think we're twins! dh and I lived aboard our 37 ft sailboat for 8-1/2 years. I have a Phaff 130 that had a hand crank, not sure what happened to the hand crank but my "3 men & a dog to lift" machine is something I'd never give up. My fancy electronic Phaff is home too because we are spending 6 months in our 42 ft RV. I toughed out last summer sans machine (only 4-1/2 months) but when I told dh I couldn't do it again he said do what you have to do, so I bought a 1936 Singer Featherweight. I too keep my project boxes under the bed and work at the dinette. Cutting mats, rulers and anything flat store well under the mattress. I'm doing miniatures and paper piecing to keep me busy besides the crocheting I do while "under way". Oh, and counted cross stitch for open highway stretches. So many new quilt stores to visit and so little time.