View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

meant to tell (on my self) the first BIG quilt i made, king size dragon fly stained glass dragonfly quilt for my daughter's wedding present...started with a class for a stained glass block, class, pattern, fabric ect started me out with $125...then i had to make that center block (24"x30") into a king size quilt...spent almost $700 more before it was done...then went to the local quilt shop to find out...what now...they gave me a business card and said...call him, he will get it quilted for you and take good care of you. I made the call, took in the quilt...was told he charges 2.25 cents per square inch...ok, what ever that means, i don't care, wedding is in 3 weeks i need the quilt. He did a wonderful job!!!quilting cost? $385. I almost had a heart attack!decided i could never make another quilt...unless i learned to quilt them myself.
i have not done anything even close to that since, it was very overwhelming.even though my daughter tried very hard to keep wedding expenses to a minimum...lots of things sure wound up costing... about 6 months later i bought my self a longarm so i could keep quilting...i figure it paid for itself within a year. :)