View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
MistyMarie

I just took a machine quilting class yesterday at my LQS and was so disappointed. I felt the class was misrepresented and a waste of my time and money. So, on that note, I would strongly recommend that if you do classes, you make sure your students don't feel like they have to purchase items for class that they don't end up using in class. I was told I had to have a book (didn't use it once) and that I needed basting spray (didn't use it once). So, I put out $25.00 on top of the $25.00 for the class and $16.95 for supplies (not counting the book) that I totally did not need to spend. The instructor spoke for over 2 hours of the 3 hour class and the "hands-on" part was pretty much on our own instead of with instructor support. The ONLY thing I got out of the WAY TO SIMPLE class was a comment she made about how they attach their quilt backings on their long-arm to the canvas leader. (Certainly NOT worth the time and money to get that tip!) Anyway, had the course description stated that the class was for those who had never attempted machine quilting, I would not have attended. I thought it was to help us learn techniques, not about what a walking foot was or how to lower feeddogs on the machine! I doubt I will take another class from the store after that one, especially if I knew the same lady was giving the class. She could have condensed her talk into a thirty-minute ORGANIZED lesson (she was VERY disorganized in her thinking and took a bunch of time talking about herself as a quilter that really didn't pertain to learning machine quilting) and then given us more practice time and more guidance, using the book as a resource.