View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
ctack2

In rummaging through a box of old pictures, I found one of my sister when she was about 11 or 12. It was mid 70's. Her pants were denim pants, and they look like there were made from a denim rag quilt. It looks like the denim was cut in about 4 or 5 inch squares and sewn with the raw edges on the outside of the pants. They were all fringed around the edges from washing. Sounds like rag quilt to me.
So, my feeble brain decided that I would like to make her a quilt like her pants and put a copy of that picture in the middle square. Dumb idea?
What would be the best way to do this? I thought about making the quilt and washing it several times to really fluff up the seams, then attach the picture to a middle square with wonder under? My concern is washing the picture multiple times when trying to fluff up the raw edges.
With it being heavy denim, should I just use a flannel or cotton for the backing? Should it be tied instead of quilted?
And should I use regular fabric for the square that the picture goes on or should I use white denim? How would the picture look if printed onto denim? Or would it even print on denim?
So many questions.....
Can't wait to hear all the suggestions.

Carol B