View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 AM
athenagwis

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Rachel, I look at it this way ( and it does work for me)- if I have an assortment I tend to be more creative. Does that make sense?? It's really fun to go through my stash and come up with a great idea. But again, that's just me. I was hopeless when I bought the fabrics for my first quilt- I wanted most of the shop :D:D:D
One question for you- are you like this about other things or is it just fabric?? I hear a little "phobia" too. I am very sensitive to fears b/c I have some, not fabric though lolol
HUGS, Sue
Oh it probably is some sort of phobia. I have a hard time buying anything actually even when i have the money for it. But most things I bite the bullet an buy anyway, but for some reason I have a really hard time with fabric. :) I think it's becuase we are trying very very hard to pay off all our bills, so my mind set is to not spend automatically. So when i do have money for a specific thing I feel like it has to be the ultimate perfect thing I buy because I may not have money for it again for a while. And that's where the fear comes from for buying fabric. I go in with say $50 and intend on buying fabric, but it's not enough to buy for a whole quilt, so maybe I'll just buy 2 yards of only 2 fabrics, but then what if I never find a use for those and I have wasted this precious $50? SO I decide on just getting a bunch of fat quarters, but then what if a fat in not enough once I find a quilt I want to make and this fabric is gone when I am ready to buy more? And then after pacing around the store for 30 minutes picking up and putting down, I leave with nothing. LOL Yes it's a problem. Because I do want to buy. But I guess it's good that my house is not overwhelmed with fabric.

Maybe if I sit down and decide on 5 or 6 projects and what fabrics I want for them, I could start buying for those. I have often bought a coordinating set of fabrics for a project, but then ended up using it for something else. I bet it would help me because I would know that it has an intended project, and I would have a stash because I could end using the fabric for a different quilt ..... hmmm not a bad idea.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I know it's a little odd, but it's good to 'talk' it out. :)

Cheers!
Rachel