Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I am attempting to make a simple, log cabin quilt for a graduation gift for my best friends daughter. I have ripped it out 3 times already and now I am facing the 4th mistake I have made and have to rip the seems on 17 of the blocks again. I made one just find, since I kept trying to make them at the same time, and then would have to rip out 18 blocks. I decided that I would finish one block and then go from there. Did the one, decided it was not that hard so I would continue on and sure enough sewed the next seem on 17 blocks wrong. I want to scrap the whole thing and start over. I still need more fabric no matter what I decide to do. But now I have all this material cut into strips of different leanghts and will have to figure out what block I could do with them. Thanks for letting me vent. Think I will let it go for one more day and then decide what I am going to do. Will post pics later.
((((hugs)))) I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. The others have good suggestions. Me, I would sit down and while watching tv begin the job of reverse sewing. I've worn out a few seam rippers so evidently I'm an expert at this now. :roll: I couldn't work on just one block at a time as Rachel suggests, but that's because of my personality. Hers is likely a saner method.

My suggestion for the future would be to make one complete block first, checking for accuracy of size and color placement, then use this block as the Master Block and check all the blocks you are making against this one. If the new block you are sewing doesn't match up, then you can fix the problem before you sew the strip on. This should help correct most of the mistakes before they are sewn together. Notice I said most. ;) Another way to do this would be to do a mock-up on your design board, assuming you have one. This way you can lay out each step and then as you are mass sewing the blocks together you can check that they are correct. Hope this helps.

If you are too fed up with this quilt to continue but aren't sure what to do with all those strips (besides send them to me :lol: ), check out quiltville.com and you may find a quilt to make that you are much happier with.