View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Tiffany

The range on how much I spend depends on the type of quilt and its size. I probably will spend anywhere from $50 to $300+. Most of my fabric comes from scraps I gather from other people, which really helps to keep the cost down. I buy my batting either at Joann's with my coupon or through a friend who can buy wholesale, which keeps my costs down. And I usually try to buy my backing fabric when flat folds go on sale at a LQS. They go on sale occasionally for $1.99 a yard and I try to scoop up several when that happens, which isn't often.

The most expensive quilt I ever made was for my MIL, whom I adore. This was ten years ago and I had searched high and low for some good teal and blue-green fabrics. This was probably a year before those colors really hit the market. I lived in So Cal and finally found the fabrics at the shop up in Sisters, Oregon. My husband packed me up and off we went. We drove up there, something like a 14 hour drive, did our shopping, and turned around and went right back home. I made the quilt, which was one of those 1000 pyramid patterns, and it turned out beautifully. I have to laugh though because now I can find that color of fabric pretty much anywhere. :lol: