View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by pieces
Do you realize dry cleaning is applying harmful chemicals to your quilt? And when your quilts are placed on beds the chemicals are getting on the bed? As well as on the hands of everyone that touches the quilt? Not only are these chemicals toxic to everything they touch they are also harsh to the fabrics.
Oh my, I'm not quite that picky! I know that every quilt I have made has been washed by the recipient, so I'm not too worried about that. Chemicals from a dry-cleaned quilt getting on the bed and on peoples' hands? I'm not worried. I've seen very expensive commercially-made quilts and comforters marked "Dry Clean Only", just like the matching drapes that are available. The toxic chemicals you mention are most probably in a lot of things we touch on a daily basis, including detergents and laundry supplies. In fact, I know people who are allergic to some laundry detergents! My sister is allergic to Tide! Besides, most people wear dry-cleaned clothing next to their skin all the time so what's the difference? Do you know how many people dry clean their wool winter coats, silk blouses, business suits, etc? If someone has an allergy to dry cleaning products, I don't dry clean, and I don't dry clean anything meant for a child. I've never had any complaints, I don't think I've done anything wrong, so please don't make me feel stupid or guilty.