Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by Deara
I just opened my Singer Model 115. The bottom base is in pieces. The carry case was only surrounded by one (1) layer of 1 inch compressed styrofoam. My last two machines that came shipped, have been damaged. First one UPS and now this one by Fed Ex. I think I have seen the term if the two companies merged, it could be called Fed-Up. Just making a funny. I am a little upset.
I have to be careful who I say this to, as my husband drives for UPS, but I ALWAYS ship through the PO!! That being said, machines should NEVER be shipped in the case. There are a few people who know how to secure them in the base/case, but not many. The heavy machine winds up rattling around in the case, and you're lucky if it's only the case that's demolished. Most Ebay sellers are not used to shipping machines, and think because it's cast, it won't break. Wrong. If I absolutely MUST have a machine off the auction site, I usually send directions for packing. Sometimes they pay attention, sometimes they don't, but it's worth a try.
There are also a few sellers who specialize in machines, and have a great feedback score. Check around the site until you find them!!

Here's some information from treadleon re: shipping:

(http://treadleon.net/sewingmachinesh.../shipping.html)