View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
quiltluvr

First of all, congrats on realizing what most of us here can only dream of---yes, headaches and all of being the owner of our own quilt shop.

Along with all these other great suggestions, I'd offer these thoughts.

First and foremost, the leader of the pack, friendly, knowlegdeable clerks. Period, end of story.

It was mentioned, but don't overlook the importance of a clean restroom. I know it's not one of the most glamorous duties to keep it clean, but what an impact in the world of women. :wink: Shame on those who misuse it and leave it for the next visitor. :evil:

Store size, floor space, etc., will dictate how many extras you can incorporate. Personalize the shop to reflect you and your love of quilting, but also, involve your customers. Ask their opinions, just as you did here. It will give them the sense even more that you as an owner do care and value their business as well as their thoughts. What do they want to see at a place they spend their money.

Favorite Fabrics likes to treat us with pics of new lines coming out. Can that be something you share in your store? When I think of that I think of Blockbuster Video, the "Coming Soon" board. Show a variety. Some stores I've been to will feature one fabric, but there are so many to show. Maybe offer a 10% discount for pre-orders (paid in full first) to get the customer excited.

If you don't have a sample, how about a project sheet for those new fabs? Or free project sheets to hand out at check out, near displays, etc.? Everyone likes a "freebie" and it's inspiration!

I'm 50/50 on the kids area for all different kinds of reasons. Little unattended hands can make a mess but if Mom comes, they come.

If your shop has the room, definitely a sitting area of sorts for those tired feet, bored husbands who have the wallet ;) , no drinks, only water.

A shop I've visited opens their classroom every Tuesday for open sewing for anyone who shows up, free.

I'm a huge scrap bin person tho' the majority of the shops around me don't do it. It's a good way to make your dollar stretch that bolt.

FQ cuts off every bolt.

Sorry, I keep thinking, so I'll stop. Wishing you much success. (If you're on the web, we here can order from you---hint, hint!) :mrgreen: