Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by craftybear
beautiful
Thank you Karen. This quilt as are ALL of my quilts have all been hand quilted WITHOUT a hoop or frame. Just thought I'd let you know since you posted the question to the board. Also, those who are now doing it in my chapter telling me it's a lot easier on them to quilt this way - less pain for those who have pain for one reason or another. I was amazed at the meeting last night when one of our experienced machine quilters came over and asked me for instructions on how to hand quilt as she's decided she wants to give it a try. In the course of the conversation, with basically the entire group standing around my table where I was hand quilting without a hoop, our male member told us that he has now set aside his hoop and is "quilting like Patty." Since he has a mid arm quilt machine and is very good without, I thought he'd give up his hand quilting but he said no as this is how he can relax in the evening and spend time with his wife. He gave up the hoop because it was causing him pain in the shoulders and neck - which is where I had gotten pain too plus my upper arm muscles. With quilting without a hoop, the only pain I experience now is when I stick my finger. I highly recommend it because you can sit in a comfortable chair with your feet elevated, relax and watch TV while you "torture your fingers." I'm finally just now learning how to use a thimble. Normally I prefer a bandaid or masking tape on my fingers to protect them but the quilt I'm working on is a bit thicker fabric so I've had to use a leather thimble - the black ones. Also, if you try this, have a tub of Bag Balm on hand to dip your fingers into at the end of your quilting day to heal your sore fingers over night - it really works unless you get a bad jab which does happen.