View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Quiltmaniac

[quote=JS]But I am talking about sense of smell. You did mention that and I will tell you why I think it is important too. I worked in a nursery center that had an indoor home accent dept.. The smell that became so familiar and comforting without even thinking about it as you entered the store was the candles etc. that were displayed in that dept. I experienced the same thing whenever I entered my LQS. It was a Ben Franklins and it was a fabric/ craft store. Whenever you walked in there a certain smell hit your senses (not only sight) but smell from all the different products from the craft inventory etc. The fragrance that hit your nose the minute you opened the door in both stores became associated with relaxing enjoyment.Even now when I think of those smells it makes me smile."

Yes, I remember that Ben Franklin "scent" - made me sneeze and sometimes almost gag and I always left with a sore throat and watery eyes. Leave the scents to the craft stores that sell potpourri and candles.

I would say stick to quilts and quilting - there are stores that end up selling anything just to make an extra buck. There are so few specialty shops out there any more what with the big box stores that try to monopolize the market.

If I could live in a quilt store, I would!