Old 06-09-2010, 03:49 AM
ToucanSam

A couple of months ago, not too long after I started quilting, I asked if anyone had 4 inch squares they didn't want because I wanted to make a completely scrappy (no pieces the same) quilt. It was not due to financial struggles, but I know some ppl just don't keep scraps. In April, I was diagnosed with Stage IV appendix cancer (they thought it was ovarian and I am blessed that it wasn't)and had some pretty serious surgery. The post-surgical time was rough, as they had done a total hysterectomy, an appendectomy (the cancer started in my appendix) and took about 30 inches of my intestines (big tumor there) and had to sew my intestines back together. Not fun.

Recovery was tough and I was on pain pills for several weeks, pretty much throughout the day and at night. I had received squares from a number of people on the board, some of whose usernames were printed somewhere, but some just used their real names. All of the pieces have been deeply appreciated and slowly but surely, I made the quilt top. I put the border on it last week. I will try to post a pic of it tonight or tomorrow. If it will fit on a twin, I will donate it to a local charity.

I appreciate everyone who sent even a piece for it. Unfortunately, between the pain meds and the chemo I'm doing now, my brain hasn't exactly been working right. I am so very forgetful. Please know that if you sent me anything, it was very much appreciated and hopefully you will be able to see it in the quilt, though I do have some pieces left over.

I know that this post was not directed at me, but it was a wake up call for me to say thank you. And with "chemo brain", I sometimes need a reminder! This is one great group of quilters!

Hugs, to all of you,
ToucanSam