View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
quiltilicious

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
I have a huge garden and love it. Had some problems with the beans this year (too much rain) so I need to replant and now I cannot find seeds. Very aggravating! But here is what is in now. Lettuce, radishes, onions, carrots, green beans, lima beans, okra, corn, potatoes, zuchinni, tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers, watermelon and canteloupe. Will plant beets, turnips and another round of lettuce in the fall.

For anyone wanting to use a pressure canner, I would be happy to talk you through it. It is really no more dangerous than boiling water on the stove. They are built with safety mechanisms to protect you. It just takes a watchfull eye and they are handy as the dickens. I would freeze more but we just don't have the space, so I can most of what I grow. This year is a experiment in making claussen kosher dill pickles. I love those things nad they are just to darned expensive in the store.

Sheila
Mrs Wages Kosher Dill Pickle mix makes some excellent Kosher Dills (short brine method). They work best on spears or slices, not whole pickles. Only drawback is that the pickles only stay crisp for about 4 months. After that, they get mushy.