View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Lacelady
Power Poster

I have had a request for some explanation about the stitch I use to sew on the band to the box lid.

I used some of my Elmer's glue to hold the band in place (ironed to set the glue). I just used a minimum of glue on the doubled part of each side of the band, but it was enough to keep it in place while I did the stitching.

I held the flat top of the box towards my body, I am right handed, and after I had hidden the knot on the thread, I took a tiny stitch into the edge of the box top, towards me. Then, after pulling the thread through, I took a tiny bite into the band, exactly opposite where the thread was coming from, but again with the needle towards me, but bringing the needle out onto the box top, about an eigth of an inch to the left of the first stitch. So the only thread that might be visible should be the tiny stitch going from box lid straight across to the band. When the thread is pulled taut, this should be minimal.

I don't have one of those boxes handy, but I have taken a few pics to illustrate what I am trying to say, on another box. I have used a contrasting thread, with two strands, so that you can see the stitches. I believe if you use a single, matching thread, they shouldn't show much at all.

thread from 'box lid' to 'band' and back to 'box lid'
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82271[/ATTACH]

Needle pulled through, but not tightened
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82272[/ATTACH]

Tighten stitch, and make another.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82266.jpe   attachment-82267.jpe   attachment-82268.jpe