View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i had a wise quilter tell me once when someone asks what it would cost to have a queen size quilt made for them, with them providing the materials the answere is;;;$500 and up, what do you have in mind? so, that being said...i do think $500 should be the smallest amount, but really i have made this quilt, it is BEAUTIFUL! and really was easier than it looks...if you want to make it and don't want to charge her so much, figure out an hourly amount (like the earlier mentioned $20 per hour, look over the pattern, think about your quilting capabilities and speed and give her a time estimate or range...like 40-60 hours what ever you think...but estimate high...that way if you get it done and decide it wasn't so bad and didn't take so long...was fun to make you could give her a price break in the end. she would think she was getting a great deal and you would still be covered. i hate doing this type of projects for people! i much prefer to make a quilt, show it off, and when someone says....oooh i love it is it for sale? i can say yes and give them a price...seems like much less stress that way ;) remember...people who do not quilt have no idea what goes into creating such an item...be prepared by finding quilts for sale, in the price range you are thinking and printing off some samples so you can show her it is not just you wanting to take advantage but this is really what it takes...