Old 06-09-2010, 05:08 PM
AshleyO

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I allowed myself a little time to look at an antique store today, and was surprised to find several sewing machines. There were also some treadle bases that no longer have the machine. There was a singer - serial #D1127037 - treadle in a parlor cabinet. It is missing the loop that drives the machine, b ut parts seem to move, etc. Decals are - I think someone referred to them as egyptian?? - not in pristine condition. The paper with the machine said '1905'. and they want $399. I am debating, as that seems like a lot. Got to go check the singer site for info...

Editted:
Billy, all I can find is something about 1909, Elizabethtown, NJ. Is there another place to look for info?
It's usually called the "Sphinx" decals I think. That is the machine I have. Mine is from 1905. It's a model 27 vibrating shuttle machine. The one you are looking at was being made in 1908. http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_D_nos.pdf
I paid $15 for mine... honestly I think $399 is a lot, but it depends on how bad you want it :mrgreen:

ETA: The belt that drives the machine is less than $10 and readily available all over the net (and some local places). One-size-fits-all treadles.