Thread: Autism
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam
Originally Posted by Mellina
Well, my son was diagnosed with autism in 1975. It was brand new. He wasn't retarded but he wasn't normal either. So this was what the Doctors diagnosed him with. He is now 37 and holding somewhat of a job. No SSI either when he was younger. All expenses came out of our pocket. Now I see all types of challenged children getting help. Now he falls through the cracks. If we die he will be homeless.
I know this is absolutely none of my business, but could you try again to get him on SSI? A sad fact is that when you die, not if, he will be on his own. I have a cousin who is now 72 years old has severe mental retardation and was diagnosed with polio on his second birthday. His only living parent is my great aunt, now 96 years old. Securing this for his future could be the most important gift you could ever give him.

Added on edit: I hope I do not offend, but this is so very scary to me. Thankfully these are not issues that I have to deal with in my daily life. I guess it is because my cousin is always in the back of my mind and the center of my heart.
Looks to me like you are sharing information out of caring concern.