Thread: Autism
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by Mellina
Well, my son was diagnosed with autism in 1975. It was brand new. He wasn't retarded but he wasn't normal either. So this was what the Doctors diagnosed him with. He is now 37 and holding somewhat of a job. No SSI either when he was younger. All expenses came out of our pocket. Now I see all types of challenged children getting help. Now he falls through the cracks. If we die he will be homeless.
My college roommate was doing autism study/research in 1959. Knowledge about autism has come a long way since then, and it still has a long way to go. Ironically, both she and I have autistic grandchildren.

I have 2 autistic grandsons, and our lawyer has done quite a bit of research on our CT laws re setting up care for a severely autistic person WITHOUT negatively affecting potential state care. We also have to be aware of the laws in the state where my grandsons live. One of my grandsons will probably need lifelong care. The other will probably graduate from college. That's why autism is called a 'spectrum.' Our most likely scenario is to set things up with a Trust so the college grad will be able to help care for his brother.

Melina, please check with Virginia's State Social Services to see if there is something you can set up ahead of time to provide for your son. I know you can do it in some states, but you have to be very careful about the way you do it.