View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Granny Cat

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
Now I'm sure people would argue this logic with me but here's how I see it. Walmart buys "x" bolts of fabrics and sends one to each store (we're pretending that's how it works). Now those are BOUGHT AND PAID FOR. The next batch is bought and the same thing happens again. Why can't the price be the price they put on it from the beginning, until they sell that bolt? Fabric might cost more, but that original bolt has been "purchased" before the increase.

I know I know it doesn't work that way. Out local pet store owner explained something to me once. Each fish he has in his store is a libility until it's purchased. The money spent is hanging out there until someone buys said little fish and takes it home. The entire time it is at the store it is a risk that it might die and become a loss instead of a gain. That price stays the price he puts on it until it's sold unless something ELSE happens. The electric bill goes up, taxes, insurance ect. in which case prices go up to make ends met.

So is it really about fabric or is it about Walmart's bottom line. Gee, I think it's the bottome line.

Janeen I'm glad you got what I'm sure is lovely fabric before the price hike, though I'm sorry you're getting the hike at all. I hope both of your quilt tops are finsihed as well as you hope. What is your expected turn around time?

I agree with you here the price of gas to bring that load of merchandise has been from the past shipment and the increase on an old bolt of fabric makes no sense so it has to be the bottom line...now if it were newer fabrics then I would say ok but for an older bolt nah....