Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
hazeljane

Originally Posted by Pzazz
My eldest son has two....shoulder to elbow. He designed them both. One is a dragon, (he has loved dragons since he was a small child), the second one is a Celtic cross for his Irish heritage. His next one he wants to have done is a phoenix done on his head...he is bald. While I am trying hard to convince him not to do that one, he is trying to convince me to get a small one on my back to cover a very ugly scar that I was left with after having a cebaceous cyst removed. I am considering a hummingbird...but am waiting until the last of the "dissolving" stitches works its' way out. (Note sarcasm on dissolving. ;) ) I had this removed 5 years ago, and am still having stitches work their way out!!!!

Patti-

Ask a whole lot of questions before tattooing a scar. I have a 14 inch scar down my spine from a spinal surgery and thought of having it tattooed- something like a vine or something. I was told that the scarring was too deep- The layers of skin healing in the scar are too disorganized, and the tattoo could go very wrong- with ink going where you don't want it. If its like a little bullet scar, I would think you can tattoo around it successfully, but I would go with someone very experienced and ask a lot of questions.

I do think that getting a tattoo to celebrate triumph over illness is a very healing thing. A celebration of life.

good luck.
Patti