Thread: Inspiration
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Maride

I came across this while visiting another site today and I found it amazing. It is the commencement speech that JK Rowlings gave at the Harvard graduation in June 2008. If I had heard it back then it may have not meant much to me. Yes, it may have still be inspirational, but I would have not felt she was talking to me. Today is another situation. Is 20 minutes long, but very enjoyable.

http://harvardmagazine.com/commencem...ce-imagination

I spent a long time last night reading Maryse's post about trusting people who come to the board asking for give aways. I am guilty as charged of being one of those who wishes I could be able to afford something and have no money. I don't ask, but wish for ways to improve my craft. I have received some wonderful help from people on this board as well as I have seen many other people being helped and many others asking over and over for help. I have also being one who has given...a lot. But I gave to someone who I knew had a true need and not once asked for help. I did received a thank you and feel badly that she has not come back here, but I feel like a better person knowing I helped. Nobody likes to be asked to give, but how else would we know that the need exist?

I encourage those with a real need not to stop posting; either asking for help or updating us on your situation. This is a great place to come and vent because we are like a big family, except that most of us have never met, and sometimes that way is better. And we can always choose to ignore the post or read it.

I have just found out that I will not be able to start my new job for at least another month thanks to the graceful lack of desire to work of the employees of the state of NY. I am sure there are some wonderful employees there, but someone lost my college transcript, and given the fact that I went to school in Puerto Rico, and my transcript is in spanish, it may take two weeks for it to be replaced and two weeks for my file to be eveluated. I was hoping to have enough money to take an apartment and move, but if I am not working that will not happen, and I will have no place to take my family. Is breaking me apart to think of that possibility, but I am helpless. I have to be out of here by August 1st, but so far don't have the means to go any where else. I am not posting this to make anyone feel bad for me, but just as an example how someone may be happily sewing and posting great projects, but no one knows what is really going on deep inside. I am sure I will survive this situation as I have survived many others where I was even more helpless, like health related, but I don't see that light yet. I just know is there.

I have been thinking about this since last night when I finished reading the board, but listening to her speech made me realize that by opening up you can inspire others and touch their lives. I am very happy to come here every day and touch someone's life as mine has been touched by so many of you.

Thank you for being here for me, and thanks Maryse for starting the thread.