Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Gerbie

Billy, I have a new baby delivered Wed. this week, and I need some help. So new, no name yet, but then I don't usually name them either, except my two biological children. lol. Anyway, it is a featherweight 1937. Looks good, So far it seems to sew well, only sewed a few stitches though. I did clean out a lot of fuzzies , took the face plate off, also the bottom plate of the machine, and the needle plate or whatever you call that part. I even cleaned the outside up a little with liquid gold, sure was dirty. O.K. off with the rambling, here is my question. Since I am not mechanically inclined usually, do you think I could clean this darling up myself and oil the need parts or would you recommend taking it in to a service shop. Our nearest one is about 100 miles away, and I have never used this shop. Everyone who has, says the guy there is pretty good. I really don't know just what do do, any suggestions? I always have oiled my others and the one I use the most a Bernina 930, my favorite machine.
I have an old Singer that was my Mother's, I am going to get it out and try and date it. I know she bought it in 1940 or 1941, and bought it used then. So I know it is at least that old, however have no idea what kind orther than Singer that it is.