Thread: 9-11 Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Maride

Back in early 2002, maybe late 2001, shortly after 9-11 a woman started a campaign to make a quilt with one block dedicated to each person who lost their life on Sept 11. Her name was Amy. She collected many more block than she needed. I am talking thousands of blocks were made, all with red, white and blue stars. I made several of them. The plan for the quilt was made and it would be smaller blocks of 12 or 16 small quilts with ribbons attached to the binding to eventually tie then together for display. She even made plans for where they quilt was going to be displayed. The extra blocks were made into quilts to be auctioned to raise money for materials like backing and batting for the quilts on the main quilt. It was a very big project, but it was moving along well. I was pregnant with my son when I quilted 3 of the auction quilts and 2 of the main quilt pieces.

When the project was near it's completion (maybe not so near) Amy was diagnosed with cancer and died within 2 months of the diagnosis. It was heartbreaking, since she had a little girl. Her husband kept the project in tote bins on his garage for years and eventually someone decided to take over the project, and everything was delivered to Washington state, somewhere in Seattle. After that I heard no more about this.

Sorry to make this story so long, but where I am headed is, Did any one here participated on this or have any information of what ever happened to this? Is a project that I would love to see completed.

Thanks.