View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
I don"t know the best way to store and show, but I do know what is bad for me. When the bolts are stored upright, and packed so tight together, I can't pull them out to really get a good look. Same if they are laying flat on a table. The weight of too many bolts makes it impossible for me to lift and get to the lower bolts. And fabric on high shelves or down to the floor, these are out of my reach. I always like the round tables with co-ordinated fabrics with a good loose flap to the front that I can just lift and get a good look and feel. Did I make sense on any of this???LOL
I agree with a lot of the above.

Especially the parts about:

1) The fabric being out of reach - I understand that floor space is expensive - but if I can't reach it without help (I'm 5'3" ) - I have to REALLY be interested in it to ask for help to reach it. Or else have a small ladder or step-stool available. (Don't know about liability with those - the local Mill End stores have them - so do some libraries)

2) Bolts being jammed in so tightly that it is impossible to get just that one out without pulling two or three other ones out with it.

I try to be fairly neat as a shopper and put things back in approximately the same place I found them, but when I need a crowbar to make a space to put the bolt back on the shelf, I will leave it in the vicinity - like laying on top of the row of fabrics - or if they have other bolts on the floor - on the floor in front of where I found it.

3) When they have those pretty drapey things of fabric - I know there's an easy trick to get them to do that - they look pretty - but if I want a better look at the fabric - I have never figured out how to get it to look like that again.

4) The round display things are pretty - but I think they are not particularly space-effective.

5) Some stores fold under a triangle and pin the end down. It looks neat. Some stores just leave the end "as is" and put it back on the shelf. I think they have a system for if it's folded end "up" or "down" -

There seems to be a happy medium between "so loose everything falls over" and "jammed so tight can't get anything out" - this also applies to the fat quarter displays.