Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
dsb38327

Funny about the squirrels. We have tons of squirrels. Tom keeps the bird feeders filled and the squirrels are so fun to watch eating from them. My sister in law has a feeder that spins in a circle when the squirrels get on it. They go for a merry go round ride and jump off. I haven't seen it and don't know what it is called.
Yes, when the birds are here it is like a bee hive. They are a lot of work but fun to watch. It takes as much as 2 to 3 hours a day to take care of them when they are here. I can't travel (even for a day trip) unless I get a neighbor to baby sit them. They will empty the feeders 2 and 3 times a day. I feed about 6am, 12noon and 5 to 6pm. One gallon plus each feed. I wash each feeder every day from July forward. I have graduated to larger (and larger mouthed) feeders so that is much easier and quicker. I use 25 lbs of sugar a week in August. I had multiple poles the previous years with 4 or 5 hooks a pole. Tom reworked them for me in March so I have enough hooks on one pole to feed 120 birds. I will be able to feed from 3 poles instead of 6 & 7. That means the birds will be in a smaller cluster and hopefully I will be able to get some good photos for you.
I have been concerned about the hummers and hurricane Katrina. I hope some of our members there will let us know if the birds survived and are still coming through there.